Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Typical Korean School Lunch


My arrival to Korea brought a cyclone of change, not the least of which was a new diet.
I was vaguely aware that Korean food involved a lot of rice and fish, but I didn't know what a "normal" Korean meal was until I got to school. Luckily for me, school lunches introduced typical Korean fare and exposed me to a myriad of things I would never have tried otherwise.
Rice, or"bop" in Korean, is the centerpiece of the lunches, accompanied with several side dishes and soup. Pictured is my favorite of the daily soups, what I call "seaweed soup," but it's really a mix of various greens, potatoe, seaweed and a spicy broth. Garlic and red pepper paste are behind many dishes, giving Korean food a brand of spicy unique from Mexican or Indian.
Today we were lucky enough to have strawberries to accompany the scrambled eggs (left corner) and signature of Korean food -- kimchi, most commonly fermented cabbage or radish -- but more on kimchi later.
I can't count how many times my co-workers have complimented me on my adept use of chopsticks -- for a foreigner. It's kind of like a guy telling someone she's good at punching -- for a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment