Friday, April 2, 2010

Homemade Tofu

One of the pleasant surprises of my Gyeongju trip was discovering this man making a tub of tofu. My friends and I found him in a room adjacent to a small Korean eatery along our bike route. A stop for lunch also gave us a peek into the warm steamy room where the magic happens. The sweet smell and white color of the soymilk reminded me of a milkroom, set off a Pennsylvania dairy barn, back home. Tofu is made by coagulating soymilk with salts like calcium sulphate or magnesium chloride, at least that's what do-it-yourself sites say, as this gentleman didn't speak English.

1 comment:

  1. I like your writing, Gail! It sounds like you're having a great adventure over there. I'm secretly (okay, openly) jealous. I hope the rest of your time there is super!

    ReplyDelete